Refund Status Page - Tax Year 2023

(Calendar Year 2024)



Before You get Online / Call - You will be asked to furnish your SSN, filing status (single, HOH, MFJ), address, zip code, and refund amount. Easiest thing to do here - have a copy of your tax return in front of you before you start


Federal Refund (Current and Past Two Years) - Status is available 3 weeks after paper return is filed by mail or 24 hours after return is filed electronically. Click here to continue. Or call (800) 829-1954 for automated refund status. If there are issues with you refund, call (800) 829-0582, then enter extension 652 to talk to a human.


State Refund (Current Year Only) - Status is available 10 days after paper return is filed or 3 days after return is filed electronically. Click here to continue...or call (800) 852-5711, then respond to the prompts with "1", "6", and "2" to talk to a human.


Amended Federal Return - If you needed to file a form 1040-X amended tax return (change a return after it was filed), this is where to go. Status is available 4 weeks after the amended return was mailed. Click here to continue. There is now a dedicated phone number for amended returns, it's (866) 464-2050.


Want to know if you owe a debt that may affect your federal tax refund? - Then call the Refund Offset Hotline at (800) 304-3107. Press "1", "1", and then your SSN. This will provide the information you need.


How to Reach a Real Person at the IRS (Really!) - Do this...


     The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040.

     The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.

     Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.

     Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.

     Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”

     Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”

     When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.

     After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.

     Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

     Finally, press 3 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.


Other Contact Info - The following numbers seem to work if you are responding to IRS correspondence

Tax returns with W-2 Income (800) 829-0922 Tax Returns with S/E Business Income (800) 829-8374


The above links and times are provided by the Internal Revenue Service and the Franchise Tax Board. After I have e-filed or mailed a tax return, I have NO control over how quickly the IRS or FTB processes it. If you cannot get your refund status using the above links, you MUST contact them directly before I can do anything. Call them first and find out the reason your refund is delayed (no record of return, wrong bank account information, delinquent student loans or child support, etc...) and then I can (probably) tell you what we should do. I will not be able to help you unless I know the reason for the delay - and there is certain information that the IRS and FTB will only disclose only to the taxpayer and not the tax preparer. I cannot do anything about refunds being garnished for other debts - you need to resolve those situations with the agency collecting the debt.